tiistai 14. lokakuuta 2008

One More Day

Day 106

"Tomorrow I'll be far away,
Tomorrow is the judgement day
Tomorrow I'll discover
What our God in Heaven has in store"


Theme music for entry

One part of my journey is over, another begins. After months and months of planning this trip eventually shaped itself into 4 parts: Australia 2008, South Pacific, New Zealand and Australia 2009. This first 3.5 month part took the most amount of preparation and planning. Behind me is over 10 000km inside this continent. Days if not even weeks sitting in buses, trains, airplanes and boats.

Well, was it worth it? Every damn second! Now its time to sum up past 3.5 months. If I say "amazing" it would be understatement. Already past 106 days have been the most life-altering experience one can have. It hasn't always been happy journey, allthough I have never felt like quitting yet, not even close.

I think the toughest and hardest part that took me by surprise was the constant social aspect of it. I mean, you arrive to new place, try to make friends, infiltrate yourself into already established community and generally find your place. Sometimes it was easy(Treehouse), sometimes it was downright impossible(Port Douglas) and sometimes you are just too tired to do it(Brisbane). And...just when you managed to do it, you move on, say goodbye to people you met and arrive to new place where no one knows you and you have to start everything all over again. I think THAT has so far been the toughest thing to cope with.

But...as with humans everywhere around the globe, we build social security networks. We build relationships in where we can rely upon on tougher times. Even when you are traveling alone thousands of kilometers from home, you start to look for social security network. For me that means quality over quantity. I prefer to have just few friends who I really like and trust them. I feel Frankie and Becky(later on Sanna and Susse as well) became the core of my network here.

So what were the highlights so far?

Lets start with highlights and make trip's Top 3 so far. I gave this little thought but in the end it was very easy to pick the three, but impossible to place one of them above the other. All were so fantastic experiences in their own way so I'll just go with the chronological order.

1. Darwin
There was just something about Darwin. Its hard to describe what it is. The whole place just has special vibe, atmosphere and characteristics. Its definetly not a place for everyone, I have been hearing most praise from travelers aged 25-35. Darwin doesn't offer that much to see for tourist, apart from the jumping crocs in Adelaide River, Lichfield National Park and Kakadu...but those 3 more than make up for it. Oh, and that 6m croc was soooo cool!

2. Cape Tribulation
The sheer beauty of this place blew me away. I had seen pictures, I had heard talk but I wasn't prepared how jaw-droppingly beautiful it was. It was like walking into a forbidden paradise where you have to pay 1000 dollars to enter...but instead it was free. There were moments when I just stood at there in awe thinking "I must be breaking some law to be able to stand here and looking at this without paying anything".

3. Whitsundays
I had huge expectations on this trip and...they were exceeded. Fantastic boat, fantastic crew, fantastic scenery and most importantly, fantastic company(thanks Sanna and Susse!).

Honorary mentions: Treehouse, Uluru, Fraser Island and Desert Venture tour.

I will close this last entry from Australia with 2 more pics from Sydney, the Emerald City.

Ei kommentteja: