sunnuntai 18. tammikuuta 2009

A Kick Ass Ride!

Day 204

"When I find out all the reasons
Maybe I'll find another way
Find another day
With all the changing seasons of my life"


Helicopter ride to top of Tasman Glacier and around Mt Cook(highest mountain in NZ), what a ride!

Today weather was so amazing, picture perfect blue sky which is not so common in these Southern Alps so I decided to skip future dive trip in Kaikoura and invest my money on this once in a lifetime(yet again) experience. It's not too many times one can ride with helicopter on top of mountain in middle of summer. Ride was rather shaky cause of wind but hugely enjoyable still. And scenery...it was nothing short of amazing.

We landed on top of Tasman Glacier at around 3000m for quick photoshoot and snowball war :)


Oh, and for peeps at office, you are welcome for this one :)

Ok, lets rewind the clock back a bit. Before arriving to Mt Cook I spent 2 days in Queenstown, again.

I have to say that my feelings for that town improved significantly now that I wasn't sick and had time. Queenstown is easily the most picturesque city in New Zealand, gorgeous town by lake surrounded by mountains. I had planned to do some sort of activity there on other day and after thinking through what I REALLY wanted...I chose wine tour around Central Otago wine area :)

Other option would have been bungy jump but...I have done it once before(granted, was very drunk that time) and after skydive it just didn't have that big appeal anymore. Here is pic of one of the bungy locations around Queenstown(there are 3 total). This location is actually officially the first bungy location in entire world, started by AJ Hackett on 80s.

...and here is another quite cinematic location above Queenstown and at the end of Gondola(=skyrail).

So, wine tour...I was hugely surprised. When speaking about NZ wines people usually always know 2 areas: Hawkes Bay and Marlborough(some might know Martinborough), but I had no clue about Otago area. This place was fantastic, easily best Pinot Noirs I have tasted in NZ(or even in Australia) so far. This is very small area but the quality of their Pinot Noirs was stunning. If anyone happens to run across Otago Pinots anywhere, grab a bottle. Overall it was yet another fun wine tour. Its funny, when wine tour usually starts, people are a bit shy, quiet and keep to themselfs...but after 2nd winery everyone is talking and having a laugh :-D

After revisit to Queenstown I headed to ultimate mountain destination in NZ, Mount Cook National Park. Now, if I said on my last entry how spark seems to be gone and how it's harder and harder to get impressed anymore, then Mt Cook turned new page. This place impressed and seriously wowed me.

During past 3 days I have walked about 50-55km around in this National Park seeing absolutely stunning views. I can safely say that spark has been lighted again, I hope it stays that way. But no matter what happens, I am NOT quiting this trip before it was ment to end.

Next stop is Lake Tekapo for 2 days and after that I won't be seeing anymore mountains during this trip. Then it's back towards ocean, warmth and beaches :)

Ok, I'm going to end this entry now. For some reason I don't have inspiration to write that much...and this internet hotspot is in TV room where people are quite loud so it makes focusing impossible...and air-conditioning doesn't really work here so it's getting quite uncomfortably hot.

Until next time...

Ei kommentteja: