torstai 19. helmikuuta 2009

Back in Sydney

Day 234

"Redback, Funnel-Web, Blue-ringed octopus
Tiapan, Tigersnake and a Box jellyfish
Big shark just waiting for you to go swimming
At Bondi Beach

Come to Australia
You might accidentally get killed"



Here we go again! Little over 4 months ago I ended my Australia tour 2008 in Sydney. It was only fitting that in 2009 it continues from there. I wanted to see entire Australia so in order to keep circle intact, I had to start from Sydney again.

Ok, that wasn't only reason to come to Sydney again. Other reason was that last time I felt like I only scratched the surface of this beautiful city and missed couple of things I really wanted to see/do. One was Blue Mountains, where I am going tomorrow for 2 days, and second was world-famous harbour bridge climb. Here is the bridge at night btw.

This harbour bridge climb is truly epic. First of all check-in hall has pictures on the wall of all the celebrities at the bridge summit who have done the climb. There are pictures of Will Smith, Jodie Foster, Matt Damon, Michael Caine, Robert De Niro, Bruce Springsteen, etc.

Unfortunately we couldn't bring our cameras up there. In fact we couldn't take anything up there which might have chance to fall down. So only pics I have are the ones our guide took and they are on CD atm. Otherwise it was quite an epic experience. That bridge is huge! Funny detail how they built it btw...they started to build the bridge from both ends and met at the middle. Bridge was built between 1925-1932 so there was no computers to help calculations. Imagine what kind of wizardry it required to have those 2 ends meet in the middle at precise pre-calculated location. Amazing work if you ask me...New Zealand couldn't have pulled it off ;-D

After climb I was quite exhausted so what better way to fill my stomach and quench my thirst than with Kangaroo Pizza and pint of Little Creatures Pale Ale(voted as the best Pale Ale in entire world!)

Australia...this country doesn't stop to surprise me. Last night I went to Botanical Gardens at sunset to take some night photos of Opera House and generally just walk around. Then I stumble on huge open air cinema built across bay to Opera House. What a setting! Big screen and Opera House+Harbour Bridge on backround. I immediately noticed that this was no ordinary screening since everyone entering inside gates was dressed to kill. So...me as backpacker snuck back behind the fence, up the hill and found spot where I was able to see screen between bushes. Movie turned out to be Tenderness(starring Russell Crowe) and apparently it was film's first ever screening to any audience! Director and writer was there but not Russell. So there I sat on grass for nearly 2h to see the film which btw was surprisingly good!

Today it was yet another hot and sunny day so I dragged my ass to Circular Quay and into ferry to Manly Beach, Sydney's 2nd most famous beach after Bondi.

After sunbating for about an hour I jump into ocean and manage to get within knee depth when all the sudden big alarm sounds from beach speakers:

"Attention everyone in water. There has been shark sighting nearby so shark alarm went off, we advice to stay out of the water for now!"

Eh...sweet! So Mr.Sharky hasn't given up hope to catch some Finnish meat this summer. Unfortunately no attack came, even though I was very hopeful since couple of surfers ignored the warning and went out anyway.

Tomorrow I'm off to Blue Mountains for 2 days. On sunday back to Sydney and on monday journey moves on...

Ei kommentteja: