tiistai 11. marraskuuta 2008

Beyond Dream

Day 135

"An old man by a sea shore at the end of day
Gazes the horizon with sea winds in his face.
Tempest-tossed island, seasons all the same."


Cook Islands, beyond heaven, beyond dream. Now this is what South Pacific paradise is in everyone's mind. This place is that image made into reality. Stunning beaches, lagoons, palm trees, majestic hills, CLEAN streets, no dogs barking 24/7, no pigs, warm weather, cool nights, coral reefs, etc. Okay, few too many roosters who still can't figure out the clock and start their concerts around 2-3am, but other than those, its all paradise.

Already when I stepped from airplane and into terminal in Rarotonga my jaw dropped. There was band playing local island music to welcome new arrivals. Quite different experience compared to Tonga where there wasn't even electricity and place was swarmed by spiders and cockroaches. Next I was taken to my guesthouse, Vara's, in east side of the island and that was second time my jaw dropped. Apparently I was living in one of the three rooms in this huge hillside mansion with giant veranda, huge kitchen and then TV and DVD player! All that for only 44 NZD per night(22 euros).

Next day I walked down to Vara's beach where they had office to check in. Did that and started chatting with Matt, guy who runs a shack/bar/grill/snorkel rental service there. I asked him if there would be chance to do diving course in island on coming week. After 30 minutes he came to me and said "hey mate, Pacific Divers around the corner can give you a course next week. Just go and talk to them." Wow! So, I went there and told I wanted to do Open Water course to which guy said: "Sure, when you want to start". "Hmmm, wednesday?", I replied to which he said "Ok, wednesday 8:30 we start, here is manual to read before course if you want to."

I mean...OMG! After Tonga and all the difficulties in arranging anything there I was positively shocked. Everything works here, people are so friendly and helpful, they talk english and place is so CLEAN. I really started to like Cook Islands more and more, despite the fact that it is very touristy(but not really totally spoiled by overtourism).

So on monday I went to do one thing I have dreamed of doing for years, spearfishing.

We went to lagoon reef for 3 hours and our group of 5 managed to get 9 fish in total, setting new record! I got just one, Parrotfish. Despite the fact that I only nailed one, and missed about 30 it was one of the coolest experiences in this trip so far. Will go again if I have time.

Here is the parrotfish I killed up and close.

Today I finally managed to go to town and travel agancy. Again I was stunned how well everything worked. I booked return flight to Aitutaki for monday next week and return flight on friday plus 4 nights in guesthouse. All this took less than 5 minutes! So my plan atm is to finish diving course by saturday, then as I am hopefully certified diver, travel to Aitutaki and do some diving there since apparently dive spots there are one of the best in entire Pacific.

Anyway, I was feeling little reserved about traveling to Pacific again after 3 weeks in Tonga. But Cook Islands is so differnet, so relaxed, chilled and full of true tropical paradise activities that I am really glad I took this 3 week sidetrip...so far. Vara's Guesthouse arranges barbecue nights every evening so meeting other travelers and making friends is so easy.

Now, I just pray that this annoying little flu will pass so I can start my course tomorrow and be a diver by saturday.

Ei kommentteja: