tiistai 26. elokuuta 2008

Themepark ride continues

Day 56

"...And he sang as he watched
And waited till his billy boiled
Who'll come a waltzing matilda with me?"


No usb ports...again, allthough this hostel in Cairns has free internet which is always big bonus. So no pictures from Port Douglas or Cairns coming...like there is anything worthwhile to show.

Ok, Port Douglas wasn't bad. It was pretty little holiday village with tons of uber rich tourists. Then why was there 3 backpacker places in Port Douglas as well? I found an answer to that question after arriving there, hostels are for workers. 90% of people in my hostel were working in Port Douglas because apparently money was really good there. In anyway somehow 5 days I spent there just flew by. One day I spent at the Reef, others just relaxing and reading at the pool.

Port Douglas also became an unexpected money hole for me. I broke 2 things while there, my camera and diving goggles, so I had to buy new ones. Because of this, I canceled my original plan to take tour to Kuranda from Cairns which would have costed 89 dollars and lived with very minimal budget for past 3 days(about 30 euros a day).

So now I have been laying low in Cairns for 3 days, spending as little money as possible which is quite easy in this pisshole. I don't feel even slightly tempted to use money here and food in supermarkets is really cheap. Funny thing is that I have now spent total of 5 days in Cairns and haven't had a single beer or any alcohol here during that time. In most places I usually sit down during evening with other quests and have few beers before bed, but not here.

Speaking of Kuranda, yesterday I found out there is daily schoolbus that goes to this praised rainforest village 30km from Cairns. I also found out that they take passengers there for 4 dollars(one way) if there is room. SO this morning at 8am I was at the busstation and hopped in to the bus. There are million companies that charge 80-120 euros for day trip to that village, I spent day there for 8 dollars! Sweet little hippie village btw, they have coffee shops and sell funny looking biscuits there as well :)

Tomorrow I am leaving Cairns for good, wont be missing this place. Next stop is about 200km south, small place called Mission Beach. Have booked 5 nights there for now. So I will stay there till 1st of September. Whitsundays is getting closer... :)

- Tero

Ei kommentteja: