maanantai 11. elokuuta 2008

Vacation during vacation

Day 42

"Follow the pale moonlight
Once I wished for this night
Faith brought me here
It`s time to cut the rope and fly"

First of all...sorry, no pics in this post. There are no computers in Cooktown that have usb ports(yea, go figure...).

Cairns...I so hated every second I had to spend in Cairns. That city has absolutely no soul and no character. It is city that exists purely for tourism and tourism alone. I heard rumors there are aussies living there as well but I found none. When I checked in to my hostel guy at the reception spoke bad english with heavy italian accent.

Basically town is full of drunken 20-year old british teenagers getting pissed each night in numerous cheap drinking places and then sleeping through next day to do it all over again. Cairns is similar to any other popular tourist place in Mediterranean. Mallorca, Ibiza, Rodos, Aiya Napa,...all are exactly same. Darwin was party place as well, but it was much much smaller and people there were so different. Lot older and more mature. I guess if you are 20 and want to get wasted 24/7 then Cairns is city for you...but then again why travel to Australia for that? Much cheaper to travel to Mediterranean and do exactly the same.

So after 2 nights in Cairns I escaped to Cooktown, some 350km north from Cairns. Now...this place is just what I wanted. Cooktown is so quiet, relaxed and chilled that its perfect place to have vacation during vacation. We are relatively close to Cairns but there are hardly any tourists here, just what I am looking for :)

My intention was to book a fishing trip and maybe even Great Barrier Reef tour from here, but since there are no tourists atm, the tour operators are not going out with their boats. Besides, winds are extremely high here atm, someone said that there are 2.5m waves out in the Reef now.

So my plan is to make my way slowly back towards Cairns and try to get trip to Great Barrier Reef from either Cape Tribulation or from Port Douglas. It would actually be cheaper to go from Cairns, but I so despise that place that I will not give any money to support tourism there.

Anyway, life is good here. Laters.

Ei kommentteja: