maanantai 29. syyskuuta 2008

World's biggest sand castle

Day 91

"A siren from the deep came to me
Sang my name my longing
Still I write my songs about that dream of mine
Worth everything I may ever be"


...thats what they call Fraser Island. Place itself is sort of a freak of nature, in a way that it shouldn't actually exist. Island is 125km long and 30km wide and its almost entirely pure silica sand(98.5% to be exact). There shouldn't be rainforest growing from pure sand but in Fraser Island there is. Its hard to understand what sand island is like until you spend a day there driving around these rollercoaster roads with 4WD getting stuck every hour or so. I had beautiful weather entire 3 days and fantastic company since by mere chance, Becky, Frankie and Kyla(Canadian girl I met in Agnes Waters) had all booked same tour. In this tour I also met Andrea from States who I traveled to Brisbane with after tour.

Anyway, on with the trip. First day we visited 2 Lakes, first lake I just can't remember...but it wasn't that spectacular anyway. Second lake was one of the most photographed lake in entire island, Lake Mackenzie. It was nice, but since I come from Finland, land of 1000 lakes, it just didnt have that big effect on me.
We also walked on the rainforest a bit where I saw an Ent!!

2nd day was Ocean Highway day. We drove along the 75 mile beach road entire day all the way north to Champagne Pools, only stopping on Eli Greek on the way for little swim and beach activities. Finally we climbed up to Indian Head, one of the only rock formations in entire island, to watch some marine life. First some pic of Ocean highway.

Then Eli Greek.
Then Champagne Pools.
...and finally Indian Head rock where we climbed to watch whales.
3rd day we visited 2 more lakes. First lake, Lake Wabby, was just breathtaking. I wont say a word about it anymore, I just let pictures speak for themselfs.
Last lake we visited was Lake Birrabee, nothing too spectacular, pretty similar to Lake Mackenzie. My battery ran out from camera at Lake Wabby so no pictures from there :)

Overall, nice trip. Wasn't even close to Whitsundays, allthough I understand what the fuss about Fraser Island is, scenery there is quite unique and astonishing compared to any other place in Australia. With Frankie and Becky it was fun, but otherwise I wasn't THAT impressed. Rainforest was lot more beautiful at Cape Tribulation and beaches here couldn't rival Whitehaven or even Cape Tribulation. I guess Fraser Island would seem much better if you do east coast from south to north so this would your first stop after Brisbane.

Lastly pic of us three with incredible tans(except poor Becky...) :)

Ei kommentteja: