keskiviikko 16. heinäkuuta 2008

End of Broomtime

Day 16

"Do I know where hell is, hell is in hell-o.
Heaven is good-bye forever it's time for me to go.
I was born under a wand'rin' star."

Broometime is over and its time to move on. After week in here I have to say that I do like this place a lot. Broome has certain special appeal allthough it is expensive as hell. I will miss it a bit, but just a bit. Tonight I will catch a Greyhound Bus at 19:30 to Kununurra. Trip lasts 14h so its an overnight journey and I should be at Kununurra around 9:30 next morning.

Now I want to do a small flashback, back to monday and my Cape Leveque tour. I already wrote about the coach issue but nothing about the tour itself. Originally I booked the tour to see this remote location of Kimberley, enjoy picnic there and swim&snorkel on beautiful beaches there. Yes, I did all that but I think I was more moved by the visits to 2 aboriginal communities(Beagle Bay and Lombadina) we did. I could write 1000 words in an instant to describe the experience and stuff I learned there but I try to keep it little shorter.

Some background info first...During recent years Australia has been creating these remote aboriginal communities around country, funding them 250 million dollars a year and encouraging aboriginals to move there and "return to their roots". First impression to me was "ok, sounds like government here just tries to sweep aboriginal issue under the mat by sending them on these remote and harsh communities away from tourists and settlers". No, these communities are actually idea that has come from aboriginals, it is what they want. They want to return to their roots which is hunting, fishing and generally living from the land(much like indians in America).

So they build these communities in middle of nowhere atleast 100km away from closest towns and at same time they make sure that roads leading to these communities are NOT sealed, they are gravel roads. Why? Because if roads are in bad condition it prevents young people in these communities to make trip to nearest towns, thus staying away from alcohol and drugs. If 2 or more communities are close to each other, then roads between them are sealed to help communities stay in touch and trade necessities.

Anyway, aboriginals I see in towns are, how should I say this, creepy. They are more than often completely wasted 24/7 and they just look dirty all the time. People try to avoid them as much as possible. It's completely different in these communities. People there look much healthier, they actually smile a lot and are so much more friendly.

I gotta say visiting these 2 communities was some sort of an eye-opener. My feelings towards aboriginals wasn't that great before but now I saw totally different side from them. And I also felt that experience like that is hundred times more rewarding than seeing some new beach.

Finally some pics from that trip:





Ei kommentteja: